Right near the town of Estremoz, we find one of the most extraordinary estates in the Alentejo: Dona Maria. It owns one of the most beautiful old mansions of the region, a building that dates back to 1712. At the time, a gift from King João V to one of his ladies-in-waiting, Dona Maria. The woman he was hopelessly in love with. This lady became the namesake of this extraordinary mansion.
The modern era of winemaking did not start until 1988 with the creation of a Sociedada. In 1992, Júlio Bastos sold 50% of this Sociedade Agrícola Quinta do Carmo to "Barons de Rothschild (Lafite)." With the proceeds, he improved the distribution and further growth of his winery. But the idea of truly making his own wine at the Quinta did not let him go. He was able to fulfill his dream when, at the beginning of the new millennium, he decided to sell his last share in the Sociedade. The beautiful old estate was then restored to its former glory, expanded and equipped with the latest technology in winemaking. Although the old and famous "lagares," where the best grapes were trampled on, have been preserved.
In addition, in 2002 he purchased a beautiful old vineyard more than 40 years old, right next to a newly planted vineyard. In 2003, the first grapes were harvested. The beginning of a new successful period, with finally beautiful quality wines again under the domain's old name, Dona Maria.